Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner

I love to cook but, unfortunately, having a baby doesn't leave a lot of time for me to flex my gourmet chef muscles.  I've taken up making this dish probably once or twice a month and we love it!  I use about half of an asparagus bunch and break the stalks into one-inch pieces.  Place the pieces into an 8x8 Pyrex dish and pour water into the dish until you have about 1 cm of water in the bottom of the dish.  Cover the dish with plastic wrap and microwave for 2 minutes.  Slice button or baby portabella mushrooms.  Heat 1 tsp. of olive oil in a non-stick skillet.  Add mushrooms and saute until lightly browned.  Add steamed asparagus pieces and saute until warmed.  Scramble 5-6 eggs in a separate bowl and pour into skillet.  Dot with 1 oz. goat cheese, if desired.  Sprinkle dried thyme, rosemary, pepper and salt onto egg mixture.  Now, let's be honest, this would be a lot prettier if I could make it look like an omelet.  However, I'm not that fancy, so it basically turns into scrambled eggs with veggies.  :)  But it still tastes good! 

The skillet after sprinkling the spices

The scrambled egg mixture

The finished product with a little bacon on the side.  YUM. :9