Monday, May 26, 2008

Reynosa

I went to Reynosa, Mexico for the Memorial Day weekend. It's right across the border from McAllen, TX, but it is definitely a world apart. We stayed at the Corazon Grande orphanage (such a great facility - God's love is definitely being shown there) and worked for two days in the colonia just outside of Reynosa. I cannot describe the poverty there - it makes me truly appreciate all the material blessings I have. Especially windows, plumbing and air conditioning! We had a great time, though, and were able to bless some of the families there. There were two houses started - one completed, a foundation poured for a second bath house, solar panels installed on a couple of houses to provide electricity, a roof and porch repaired for a woman whose had collapsed and, of course, VBS for the kiddos. I had such a blast doing that. I love being able to love on them, talk to them and just show them that they are loved and important. We had some bubbles for the kids and they LOVED them. Funny how such a simple thing can bring such joy. Here are some pics of the colonia. The kids loved my digital camera - the fact that they could take a picture and then see it right then was such a novelty for them! If you are interested in going to Reynosa or donating to the cause please check out the Rohi Foundation's website. Enjoy the pics!

Before (house with boards piled on as a "roof"):

After (new house nearing completion):

3 comments:

Alison H. said...

Awesome!!! What a huge heart you have for those people in need.

Carrie said...

How was your Spanish? I'm sure those kiddos loved having you chat with them :)

The Thomps said...

The Spanish actually came back to me pretty well. Enough where I could chat decently with the kids. It made me realize that I need to practice more, though!