Friday, August 20, 2010

Fall is coming! (OK, possibly wishful thinking...)

We got a lovely butternut squash at the Farmer's Market last week, so I decided to find a good recipe that would incorporate this yummy fall staple! I made this dish last night and it was delicious. I will say, cutting a butternut squash is quite a challenge. I microwaved the squash for three minutes, after poking it with a fork a few times. Once the squash cooled, I was able to peel the skin and cube it much more easily. Also, the store did not have pork shoulder so we used pork tenderloin instead. I would actually recommend using the tenderloin, as it cut the cooking time by 1/2 hour. The recipe calls for an additional 1/2 hour of cooking once the squash is added but I added the squash during last 1/2 hour of the 1 1/2 hour cooking time. It was delicious! We served with cornbread, as suggested. And it really does taste better the next day after the flavors have had more time to settle.

Side note - I may add a little cinnamon next time I cook this. Yum!!

No comments: